​Family and Veterans Advocacy Clinic

Information for Potential Clients

How Can We Help You?

If you have a legal problem listed below, you may qualify for free help from the attorneys and law students at the Family and Veterans Advocacy Clinic at Texas A&M School of Law.

clinics-5956Legal problems we can help with:

  • Protective Orders
  • Family violence issues - physical or emotional abuse
  • Divorces
  • Child custody
  • Child support
  • Terminations or adoptions
  • Other family law or child-related issues
  • Simple wills or Powers of Attorney
  • Veterans benefits or other veteran issues

Am I eligible for ​clinic assistance?

Only low-income clients living in Tarrant County qualify for our services. Our staff will ask you questions by phone about your household income to determine if you are eligible. 

When is help available?

Since we are an educational institution, we abide by an academic calendar. Our clinic operates during the Fall and Spring semesters.

Who works on my case?

Law students working in our clinic who are under the supervision of experienced attorneys will talk to you about your problem. If we accept your case, a team consisting of a law student and an attorney will represent you. They will research your legal problem, prepare pleadings and documents and represent you at hearings in court if necessary, all under the continual supervision of a licensed attorney who has many years of experience.

Please keep in mind that your case will be handled by a law student. If your case takes several months to resolve, a different law student may take over your case when the next semester begins. Although these students are still learning about the law, they are licensed by the State Bar of Texas to serve as legal interns and Associate Members of the State Bar.

How do I apply?

Please fill out this application form to request legal services from the Family and Veterans Advocacy Clinic. You may also call our office at 817-212-4123, Monday - Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. for an initial eligibility screening by telephone. We do not accept applications through email, nor do we accept walk-in applicants.

The Family ​and Veterans Advocacy Clinic is unable to assist you with the following:

We do not accept applications for cases that deal with personal injury, tort claims, suits against government agencies, criminal cases, workers compensation, unemployment compensation, landlord - tenant, Social Security disability or other general public benefits.