Welcome to the Externship Program
The Externship Program at Texas A&M School of Law offers our students the opportunity to gain meaningful and substantive legal experience under the supervision and mentorship of practicing attorneys and judges. Students can earn academic credit for legal work performed outside of the classroom in legal settings, such as government entities, public interest organizations and courts. Externships allow our students to apply academic learning to real cases, while gaining valuable insight into the operation of legal institutions.
The primary educational goals of the program are to:
- provide students with the opportunity to increase their knowledge of substantive law and the legal process;
- improve their lawyering skills;
- increase their understanding of the range of skills necessary for effective lawyering;
- improve their understanding of the issues related to professional responsibility in legal practice;
- develop productive working relationships; and
- engage in reflective lawyering.